Wednesday, March 19, 2008

PUP Thesis Class 2007-2008

Its been my fourth time to handle an architectural thesis class at PUP College of Architecture and Fine Arts. This batch once again has shown what it is for the students to be challenged and striving for excellence. My class has once again produced many students belonging to the top ten from among three sections of thesis classes (During those four times, my students are always very much represented in the top ten garnering majority of the places and the topnotcher always. How could I not be proud?)
Congratulations to Rica Festin who made it to the top! She has been very consistent, being the top in the first deliberations and once again topping the second and final deliberations. This is similar to what happened to Abigail Legaspi during her time where she also topped the first and final deliberations. She is now a registered architect sharpening her skills in Dubai.
Same goes to Miguelito Cruz, who although was disappointed with his first defense, strived very hard to come up with a very good translation to land in third place over-all. Same goes with Donna Mendoza, who impressed the jurors with her very extensive research that defines her approach to design. Eric Consing showed impressive presentation drawings and unique designs but I guess he was not happy with the results as he was expecting higher grades than what was given.
Others who made it to the top ten are Katrina Reodica and Jennifer del Valle. I would have wanted also Ellenita Hidalgo to be in the top ten as I know her work is very commendable but the grades given is short of being in the top ten. The work of Manolito Pasia is also commendable as he was the only student in my class who used free-hand drawings in the presentation. His work is a very far cry fom his previous attempt two years ago.The projects of Louie Lompot, Anthony Yan and John Kaye Alcancia, who although produced very satisfactory designs and presentations, did not receive favorable grades from the jury. I was expecting much higher grades. My congratulations goes to the others who passed the final test, Velmer Claudio, Marianne Madrigal, Reina Acosta and Jose Gomez.
Although I am very happy with the results, I am also distracted by the fact that around 12 students (almost half of my class) dropped from the course. Two students were not able to complete the drawing requirements on time, while others do not have the patience to show up in the required consultation meetings or simply failed to come up with better solutions in their consultations. Either I'm too harsh in my requirements or they couldn't respond to the challenge I've been asking from them.
Since drafting the PUP Thesis Manual in 2000, which I co-wrote with Ar. Ted Inocencio, I've been analyzing the Thesis Class proceedings and its performance. Together with the other faculty members, we discuss what are the problems and we agree on revisions in the manual. This year, I have suggested introducing the research topic that will define the innovativeness of the project. So far the implementation is okay but other faculty members who sat as jury are not yet very much aware of the changes and still focus on some minor design details. I am hoping that the succeeding thesis deliberations will improve on this aspect and soon I will suggest another change in the thesis proposal format so that this idea of research topic and thesis project could be integrated right at the start.
Once again, congrats to my students and good luck in your future endeavors!!!
Ar. Rey

1 comment:

  1. Sir, you're an excellent thesis adviser! God bless!

    ReplyDelete